I don’t really care for the texture of cooked eggplant so I was looking for a different way to make it when I came across several recipes for “vegan bacon”. As I don’t eat bacon, I can’t tell you if this tastes like it but I can, however, tell you eggplant jerky is quite crispy and delicious! The portions herein are so you you can make as much or little as needed as eggplants come in all sorts of sizes and what’s “medium” to me may not be medium to you.
- 2 parts Teriyaki sauce (I highly recommend SoyVey brand teriyaki sauce and is what I used)
- 1 part Maple syrup (agave or molasses is a good substitute but you’ll need to adjust the portions to your liking)
- Option: Liquid smoke
- Slice your eggplant fairly thin (mine was nearly paper thin and worked perfectly)
- Mix the ingredients in portions enough to coat your eggplant slices.
- Let slices marinate for a minimum of twenty minutes.
- Lay down parchment or wax paper on your work area and place your dehydrator tray on top of it (this is to catch any drippings).
- Cover the bottom tray of your dehydrator in parchment paper (also to catch any drippings while dehydrating).
- Lay out the eggplant on the trays close together but not touching.
- Dehydrate at 115°F for 12 to 18 hours or until crispy.
- Store strips in an airtight container or plastic bag. Place a paper towel under or around strips to absorb any excess oil.