Previously, I had experimented with this recipe and decided to change it around a little this time.
- 6-8 Crimini mushrooms
- 1 peeled & diced apple
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then some in a small dish for coating the mushrooms
- 1 Adell’s Chicken & Apple precooked sausage
- Clean and stem your mushrooms but save the stems for the stuffing!
- Cut the sausage into slices and add to the food processor.
- Add mushroom stems, 2 tablespoons olive oil, apple, and feta into the food processor.
- Process until all ingredients are finely chopped and incorporated. Add a little more olive oil to the mixture if you find it too dry. You want something that stays together well without being too moist. Set aside.
- Slather each mushroom top with olive oil to allow for a nice presentation (and flavor) when cooked.
- Lightly sprinkle salt inside each mushroom cap.
- Add caps to a baking sheet.
- Take a fork and gently press a small amount of stuffing inside the mushroom cap, enough to fill it generously. Repeat for all caps.
- Then create equal size balls of stuffing for each of your mushrooms. We are going to create large mounds of stuffing atop the mushroom which is why the stuffing can’t be too dry (or it will crumble) or too wet (it will slide off your cap). Add a ball of stuffing to each cap, pressing gently to create a mound the width of the cap but not over the edges.
- Then BROIL your stuffed mushrooms for 15 minutes or until they start to brown/crust at the top.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!